Thursday, May 8, 2008

rainbow suspenders

I think it was third grade, but it might have been forth.

Somehow I was shopping at JC Penny's alone. Maybe I rode my bike there? I dont remember that detail either.

But I spied a pair of rainbow suspenders for sale, in the boy's department, lower level, under the staircase. I can still see them displayed there. They were like the ones MORK wore, only without the buttons.

I wanted them - but I knew that was weird, or wrong, or somehow just off.

I think I let a few days pass, with the suspenders on my mind. Were they me? Could I get away with wearing something like that? No - dont waste your money. Do it. Dont do it. Drop it. But I want them.

Finally, I got them. Im pretty sure I bought them myself - but with what money?

I wanted to wear them to school right away. I decided to match them with a white button down shirt (sleeves rolled up), and jeans. I remember very clearly all the hesitation, with all the excitement laced in. I knew that it was a potential disaster.

I don't really remember being made fun of. I think all my friends reaction were pretty neutral. But I do remember that I only wore them once.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the fact that I wanted to be different, and I was willing to be different. Not too crazy, but noticable. The idea scared me but excited me more. I gave myself no choice.

No comments: