Tuesday, April 20, 2010

polo box

dear dave,

Last night Hex and I were talking about getting his passport, and suddenly I realized where my passport was: in my "polo box."

My polo box is a tin box with (broken) lid that I got in high school as a gift with purchase when I splurged on some Polo cologne. The top is printed with a cool painting of a polo match. Inside was scented soap and moisturizer, shampoo and maybe even conditioner. All reeking of that beloved 80's scent.

It quickly became the keeper of my most precious things: ticket stubs to the color purple, a macaroni necklace, super special postcards and letters, a crush's handwritten phone number. Major life memorabilia. It was so stuffed that the lid wouldn't close comfortably, eventually breaking the little cheap hinges.

ANYWAY, talking about the passport made me realize that I had NO idea where my polo box was (since or move more then a year ago). I knew I had it, but couldn't visualize where it could possibly be in our apartment. Minor concern QUICKLY escalated to panic as Hex and I searched everywhere for it. "All my most precious things!!" (and yet I hadn't even noticed them missing for more then a year).

Our final thought was to check the storage cube in the basement (which I said: "I would never have left it there, these are my most precious things!!" --poor Hex had to hear me say this 1,000 times).

There it was, in the basement safe inside a thick wooden box-type thing. I did a quick sweep of it's contents, speeding down memory lane. All the little trinkets and slips of paper were then quickly returned to the box, including my passport.

Crisis over.

No comments: