Thursday, December 13, 2012

another breakthrough!  It hasn't been the best few weeks for drawing.  So much angst and struggle over just a few dogs.

The pattern was pretty similar.  First I avoided working on them, then when I started I had a pretty good idea of the direction.  Initial idea (or direction ) was solid.

But then as I started to draw, and look at the reference pictures, I choked.  It's like suddenly writing with your opposite hand.  Everything that comes out is screwy, way screwy, and not improving.

I tried and tried and tried.  Different pens, different paper.  Break, avoid, try again.  Over and over.  I just kept trying and trying, but my attempts got progressively worse and off, and the frustration with myself got worse and worse. (This is happening over days -- not hours.  Whole days.)

Then suddenly, at the last minute when I really have no more time, I have a weird breakthrough.  I finally get that one in a hundred drawing down on paper.  With a few edits, it will work.

I can move on!  Scan it, tweak it, add color, and progress!

What  a crazy struggle it's been.  Time just keeps ticking away.  Chances to get all the printing done are dwindling.  But I made it - just in time.

Finally I can say to myself (with confidence):


everything will work out.

No comments: