Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 year in review

In with hope and promise and out with upset and fear (of the future)

2016 was some year!

Started out better then 2015, I was getting commissions in and started selling prints straight off my website.  Finally had the bright idea of setting that up after buying a TIVO online and realizing that things had changed, people are willing to buy bigger ticket items (online) and that I need to make it more convenient.  See it, buy it, get it.  No longer a cumbersome process of back and forth emails and arrangements.  And it paid off!

In the spring I dabbled a little bit in mobiles and posters, but in the end the cards, prints, shirts and commissions kept me busy.  Spring MCA went well, but Fall was kind of a bust.  The group is broken and disjointed, and it doesn't work to just be a passive participant.  Not sure my plans for 2017, but it really seems like the default is to stop with the Open Studios.  We'll see.

Summer I got involved with Cheeky Puppy, which put me on the path of aluminum signs.  Put a lot of energy towards them, going back and forth on size and prices, and did a large(ish) test run.  Like the posters, they felt a little off.  Sold most of them, but I'm not sure I'll do any more.  I love how easy they are to produce, but do they help me?  I can't decide.

July I ran out of transfers, which was always no big deal until this year, when they suddenly became completely unavailable from Dharma.  SUCKS!  Still not in.  Week after month they fore casted future resolution, but it looks like they are not coming back.  Bazaar and horrible.  I don't really know what to do - they are completely unique, and I'm totally dependant on their "ghosting" quality and softness.  A huge question mark going forward.  Impacted the entire fall, especially Dog Days, Art on the Ave (we didn't even go) and holidays.

Also summer I contacted Cork & Fork on 14th and offered to make artwork for their awesome window.  Promising at first, but after I sold my first piece and replaced it with another (less fun and positive design), they seemed no longer on board.  They took it down for Gay Pride (understandable ((pulse nightclub shooting))), and that became the end of that.  A funny experience, dealing A on phone and B in store.  A was all about me, B was super circumspect.

I hate it when I'm in someplace, and super communicative and flexible, and owners take it upon themselves to move or remove or somehow alter my work without even consulting with me. Makes me feel really shitty and defensive.  Happens more than I would like.

After July I went into sonic speed into August and the Fall.  Suddenly I had a million projects taking me in opposite directions with similar deadlines.  Commissions, illustrations for Story District, Print show for Willow St, print show at Dolcezza, Artomatic, Holiday cards, holiday commissions.  it's been crazy.  Good (great!), but I have felt really heavy trying to get everything done.  Lots of spill over into Jan with the holiday work, and one looooooooong running commission, and poor Noah.  Wish i could be fast with drawing.  But I'm just not.

Willow St - fun interesting work.  Pushed myself, and like what I came up with.  Opening was a BUST, nobody showed.  Really inexcusable on my part.  But I was pulled in 10000 directions.

Artomatic - bad site selection day, but got a good spot.  Liked my work, and sold most.  Show itself was hard -- time of year to blame.  Location was much better, and I really loved the building.  But I made a mess of my volunteer shifts.  such a mess.

Dolcezza -- much shorter show this year, took all down just before Thanksgiving.  Sold a bunch, but the impact is waining.  Still a good effort.

OVER ARCHING the entire year was the election, and it's culmination Nov 8th with a horrible result.  We watched endless tv commentary,all the debates with javi, and listened to TONS of podcasts about all the minutia.  A really shocking outcome.  Still can't believe it, and have incredible fear of where it's taking us.  Broken and sad.

A big year!  Better than 2015.  More solid and busy.  Still LOVE my studio.  Amazing and incredibly grateful that Remi is still thriving, and love having her at the studio.  All my potential is still there.  just need to stay focused and positive and flexible.  And hopeful.

goodbye 2016.

2015 Wrap up

2014 Wrap up

2013 Wrap up

2012 Wrap up

2011 Wrap up

2010 Wrap up

2009 Wrap up

No comments: