Tuesday, August 9, 2022

 Tuesday after Dog Days and a momentous event Sunday: dad died.  

After a crazy focused week of making tees and totes, I was so anxious to just get set up, and get these sold!  Everything went well and according to plan saturday.  Coffee at coffee bar in the morning, then we went to studio to get stuff, and then 14th to set up.  Just tees and totes, so all was easy.  Last minute decided to include the old women's tees and sold for $5 ea.


MER and Bill and Lee came by, and had a good day.  Again, vibe is very different from the past.  Lots of walk-bys, and just not the same neighborhood feel. But when people stopped to look, that seemed to attract others to look, and reactions were almost always good.  Totes were a big hit, which was great because we really had no way to display like other years on the fence.  In fact, we did no display, so of course a lot of people would walk by not knowing what we were about.

The $5 tees sold well, and others too, but I would say just ok.  Like people are not so into buying shirts, or because it's on the street, or something.  Just not as appealing.  Maybe because they are not expecting to shop for these things like they are when coming to a festival like Arts on the Ave.


My instinct to concentrate on Mediums worked well.  I don't remember anybody asking about XL. or not much L either.  I was sweating that out last minute.  I do think I got the colors wrong, I could have made them more appealing overall with more pastel colors like lavender and melon on lime.  Colors like that.  Instead I stuck to a more familiar masculine range.  The best part was that they all looked good together, but was really dark when you saw them overall.  I NEED TO SEE THIS AHEAD.

So good day, we wrapped at 4 then I took emma out to Dumbarton and had a GREAT time with her.

Sunday morning when we were at Columbe Bill called with news about Dad.  My initial reaction was to keep our plan for the day, but happily changed course and realized I needed to go see him and acknowledge his condition.  That I would regret not doing that, and it was the right thing to do for him.  So Hex and I drove out, and he was in a sad state, breathing hard and not conscious, or aware of us being there.  Just as we were leaving, John and Luke strolled in, so we went back up with them and left again, for a hot drive back to DC.  

Hex was pressed for time to meet a tenant in VA, so we set back up quickly and he left.  Another day of sales, but was typical Sunday with lighter sales and crowds.  Time went fast, and repeating all the stuff we did Saturday, breaking down.  Took Emma back to Dumbarton.


That night at 5:55pm, dad died.

No comments: