Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Artist Statement




My prints start out as a small drawing on paper. I like to use just the right pen or pencil that will give my lines a clean, effortless flow. I draw quickly, and try not to fuss too much with details. They can be added later.

I love to notice little tiny moments in life. When I draw, I'm looking for those moments. A quick expression of happiness or sadness or beauty. A laugh out load moment when somebody says or does something so ridiculous. I'm constantly recording these in my mind, and use my artwork to celebrate them.

Screen printing gives me a perfect balance between control and chaos. It requires tons of planning and set-up, but the final product is almost always a surprise in some way. The surface of the wood, the transparency of the ink, the amount of pressure applied to the squeegee -- all unknowns that have a big impact on the final result. Printing on unconventional surfaces like pegboard and styrofoam only ups the ante.

I like for my work to have flaws - and to celebrate them. Nothing in life is perfect. The mistakes we make are important, and give us character. I like how this concept is translated into my printmaking. Each piece becomes totally unique.

No comments: